Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Why I Did Placenta Encapsulation + Link Up

Some of you may know that I had my placenta dehydrated and put into capsules.  I just wanted to share with you my experience in doing this.  Obviously it is hard to compare it to anything since Radcliff is my first child, but I really haven't had any of the negative post pregnancy symptoms, that you hear about, since giving birth to him.  Some of the things placenta encapsulation is supposed to help with is balancing your hormones, enhancing your milk supply, increasing your energy, and shrinking your uterus.  We are one of the only species that does not eat their placenta after giving birth so that's got to mean something right?  In fact, throughout the years some women have even cooked their placenta and eaten it.  
I'm not that brave... 
I have been taking these pills since I gave birth to Radcliff almost six weeks ago (sad, where is the time going!?) and have almost finished them (normally you would only get a month supply, but apparently I had the biggest uterus she's seen so I got a six week supply, hilarious I know).  So, how have they affected me?  I have not felt my hormones crash since giving birth.  I was worried about getting the baby blues so it's been great ( and relieving) basically feeling the same (mind wise) as I did while I was pregnant.  My mom was not able to nurse the first three children (me included) so that was also another thing I have always worried about.  But I have had lots and lots of milk which has been so nice.  I have not felt a loss of energy and have had enough of it to do and enjoy my baby.  My midwife also said my uterus shrunk extremely fast (I think the Belly Bandit helped too).  Again, I cannot say that I wouldn't have felt this way without placenta encapsulation, but since my midwife said there is no harm in taking it, I figured for $100, why wouldn't I?  
And now for the funny part of the story, because I get it, it's funny I did this.  My dad, bless his heart, drove my placenta to the doula who encapsulated it for me.  I had texted him a couple weeks prior to having Radcliff, that if on the day I had my baby, he could run my placenta to her.  He replied, "Sure!", like it wasn't the weirdest question I could ever have asked him.  The night I had Radcliff, my dad came in, held the baby, and then went up to the nurse and asked for my placenta.  My in-laws probably wanted to die!  It was pretty hilarious.  I've got a sweet dad I have to say.  
Anyway, I hope this was interesting (funny) to you.  If you would like the name and number of the doula who did this for me, let me know and I will get you her info!
And speaking of doulas, a cute girl named Katie reached out to me and wondered if I could post this article on doulas and the incredible support that they can be.  
If I was rich, I would have loved to have one!  

Wouldn't you like to have some extra help after the birth of your baby?  Consider hiring a doula! Doulas are professional birthing and mothering assistant that help you in the home during pregnancy, delivery and the first weeks of motherhood. They clean and cook plus give you time for a much needed break from infant demands. Doulas give emotional support when you feel overwhelmed with caring for your baby. They also provide you with information and assistance in preparing for delivery and motherhood.

Doula is a Greek word, which means “women's servant”. These women have served other women for centuries. Doulas are trained to assist mothers with mother-baby bonding, physical and emotional recovery from birth, infant soothing and feeding, and basic care. She is there to support the mother during this difficult time and nurtures the entire family during this transitional time of life with an infant. A doula will run errands, provide sibling care if needed, and refer mothers to local resources such as pediatricians, parenting classes, and lactation support groups. Doulas provide individualized care geared toward your needs as a new mother.

If a doula is hired before delivery, a mother should use them primarily as an educational resource. A mother should ask about all of her delivery concerns, such as what labor signs to watch for, which pain management methods to use and the benefits of cord blood banking

As a new mother, you need to decide what your needs are and how much help you will need. Doulas are especially helpful for new mothers with little to no family support living nearby. Doula services could even be given as a shower or baby gift from friends or family members.

Most parenting support groups, birth doulas or childbirth educators can refer you to a local postpartum doula. Organizations such as DONA International and Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association (CAPPA) can also provide you with referrals. You may want to talk with friends or family members who have used a doula. You will need to check on the doula's training background, why they became a doula, and what services they can provide.

Research has shown that mothers who used doulas showed more confidence in caring for their babies six weeks after birth. They were less depressed, anxious and more likely to breastfeed their babies. With all of the assistance and education that they can provide, doulas continue to be an important part of pre- and post-natal care.

This article was written by Katie Moore. Katie is an active writer within the blogging community who discusses maternity, motherhood, prenatal health, childbirth and other topics within this niche.  If you have any questions or would like to connect with Katie please contact by visiting her blog, Moore From Katie or her twitter @moorekm26.  
Now it's...
Rolled Up Pretty
Link WHATEVER, WHENEVER up!
As long as it's cool ;)
Just have it be a specific blog post link.
I want to see what you've created, done, eaten, made, worn, or just think is awesome enough you have to share!
Please visit a couple others who have linked up as well.
We all love some comments right?
Link away....