Friday, April 4, 2014

Gluten-Free Ebelskivers

I have been mourning the loss of ebelskivers since going gluten-free almost a year ago. Growing up, my Dad would make them for us on Sundays sometimes and they were always a favorite! Especially for Wren. Making regular ebelskivers always scared me, add in the gluten-free factor, and I really never even considered it. Until... Wren went back country skiing at 5:00 AM a couple days ago and as I laid in bed I thought, "I'm going to have glorious ebelskivers waiting for him when he walk through the door, but by darn I'm going to be able to eat them too!" All gifts have to benefit the giver too right? ;) So I started researching GF ebelskivers and I think I really found the perfect recipe. They tasted exactly like the real thing. AND... I ate them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and breakfast again the next morning. Wow. So really? They're good. I found the recipe here.

Note: I did two things different than the recipe called for. I used Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix for the gluten-free flour, and then added 1/3 cup sugar, who doesn't want it sweet? Also, I turned my stove to level 4, which is a couple notches lower than medium heat. Mine were burning on medium heat and after burning one too many batches, I finally found the perfect temperature. The easiest way to flip these babies in the ebelskiver pan is to use a regular spoon (I oiled my spoon each time so it didn't stick) and you just get under the bottom of each one and flip it real quick. At first I thought, oh no, this isn't working, they are too doughy. But just flip them a couple times each and they end up cooking all the way through! I topped with my Dad's syrup recipe (1  cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon mapeline extract, stir real good (will be very thick!) microwave for two minutes. You won't taste better syrup!), strawberries and powdered sugar. The perfect combo! Without further ado:

Ebelskivers
2 cups gluten-free flour blend
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted plus more for cooking
Fillings, such as jam, peanut butter, chocolate ganache, chocolate chips or fruit
Syrup or whipped cream
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the milk and the 4 tablespoons melted butter. Whisk the yolk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined; the batter will be lumpy.
In another bowl, using the electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form, 2 – 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir the whites into the batter.
Put 1/4 teaspoon butter in each well of the Filled Pancake Pan. Set over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble. Pour 1 tablespoon batter into each well. Put 1 teaspoon of the filling of your choice in the center of each pancake and top with 1 tablespoon batter.  Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, 3 -5 minutes. Using 2 wooden skewers, flip the pancakes over and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter and filling. Serve immediately with syrup or whipped cream. Makes about 40.
Just call me master chef...
P.S. How cute is my apron? My mom just made it and it makes me feel like the coolest bakestress ever!
Rad agrees.