Monday, October 7, 2013

What Happens When You Listen to Angels in the City

^^^
Check out all my ribbons and bows... And pay especially close attention to the pretty one on the top of my head. Jelly?
^^^
Our boots? How have I always been in style??? ;)
^^^
How adorable was my baby sister Kate? Something about her reminds me of Radcliff.
As I opened the glove box this morning to find something good to listen to, I was pleasantly surprised to see my old City of Angels soundtrack facing right up at me. I popped it in and when Alanis Morrisette's, Uninvited, and then Goo Goo Dolls', Iris (Iris always was and will always be my number one favorite song) came on  I was immediately taken back to my 6th/7th grade years of school when my family lived in Federal Heights. We moved around the valley a lot, but I'd have to say that my fondest memories were made while living there. I started recalling a lot of them on my drive as I blasted the songs. Like how in 3rd and 4th grade, I became a UTA bus extraordinaire. I'd get the UTA maps and call into UTA (because of course it was before internet days) and get the routes of everywhere I'd like to go in the Salt Lake Valley. After all, I'd be taking my six year old little sister with me... I had to protect her! We'd ride the bus to visit my dad at work, zip over to Crossroads Mall, and then over to both of my Grandma's houses. My Grandmas almost had heart attacks at the fact that their adorable, young, naive little granddaughters were riding the UTA bus in downtown Salt Lake City, with all of the many different varieties of people. But I was like, "Hey, I'm pro. Stop worrying. And let's be clear about something... I'm not naive." I wasn't. Still not. Don't ever say it ;) Other highlights while living in Federal Heights... Heading to Fort Douglas to swim and getting their award winning grilled cheese sandwiches. Kind of living at Crossroads Mall with my Dad and siblings. Crossroads Mall and the ZCMI Center will always have a fond place in my heart. I can still remember where every single store was in both malls, and can smell Chik-Fil-A, Cinnabon, and Orange Julius from the food courts just thinking about it. Those were our places. My mom taught us to sew, play the piano, and sing in that house. She would make potato chowder for us while we watched our shows after school and I'd go on walks at night with her up and down Arlington Drive (my favorite road ever, I will live there one day again.) I remember listening to James Taylor and my dad's favorite, Chumbawambas's, Tubthumping (we're still kind of embarrassed for him on that one, even though I'm listening to it right now, "He drinks a whiskey drink, he drinks a vodka drink, he sings the songs that remind him of the good times, he sings a song that reminds him of the bad times..." ) driving around in my Dad's bright yellow Defender and ordering pizzas and going to Blockbuster all the time. Those really were the days. Why do we have to grow up so fast? I hope I can provide such fun memories to Radcliff and my kids. 

Wren? I'm glad I didn't listen to your nonsense when you so rudely (and it was way rude) suggested I discard my CD collection when we moved. Was he temporarily insane? My hundreds of CD's are my babies. And who doesn't want to take a trip back in time when busting them out? Especially when it dates back to the 90's? I loved the 90's. 

Oh and speaking of past decades. The 80's were kind to my parents...
THEY KILLED IT.