Thursday, August 11, 2011

Vanilla-Curry Caramel Popcorn

Okay guys, ya ready for a mouth watering treat? Ya... I figured. 
 K this is a recipe I found in my beloved O Magazine this month. It's called Vanilla-Curry Caramel Popcorn.
Here's what to grab:

8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tsp. mild curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. baking soda
10 cups popped popcorn (from 1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels)

K first, put 1/4 cup popcorn in two brown paper bags (totaling 1/2 cup, don't tell me I can't add).  Microwave each bag separately for two minutes.  PULEEAASE make sure ALL the popcorn kernels are popped or else you'll have to make a whole other batch like little-miss-rushed-all-the-time made the mistake of doing.  I didn't pop them all the way in the first batch and chipped two teeth thank you very much.  
So ANNOYING & PAINFUL, so learn from my misfortune, pop the little devils all the way.
Once both bags are popped, shove popcorn in the biggest bowl ya got (the bigger the bowl, the easier it will be to stir in the caramel sauce later).
Next, melt the butter in a pan. Stirring in the brown sugar, agave, curry powder, and salt. 
 Once it's all stirred in real good, bring to boil and let boil for 4 minutes. After, remove pan from heat and add vanilla and baking soda. Stir until thoroughly mixed in.  Working quickly, and efficiently might I add :), pour the caramel sauce (everything you just mixed together in the pan, I was a little slow on the uptake there, I thought I needed to buy extra caramel, hello I just made the caramel) anyway, pour it over the popcorn in the bowl stirring until sauce is evenly coating all the popcorn.  Once coated, lay popcorn out on waxed paper lined cookie sheets.  Let cool and serve.  This makes about 10 cups or 4 servings,
whichever suits your fancy ;)
FIY, I also melted a Hershey's milk chocolate bar in a bowl in the microwave and poured over the popcorn, like so:
AND, it was heavenly....

GOOD luck to you!