Monday, January 12, 2015

Breakfast At Our House

If there's one thing I'm not screwing up every day, it's breakfast... 

I have a love/hate relationship with breakfast time. I love it because it's the start of a new day surrounded by two, of the three dudes, I like most. Rad's right by my side, the entire time, helping me pour the corn into the pan, stirring the oatmeal, pressing the buttons on the blender, or just giving the kitchen table a good old fashioned scrub down as he sprays cleaner (all natural) over and over again, wiping it with his soaked paper towel. He repeats, "Daddy made a BIG mess of this table last night, huh!?" Yes, Rad. Yes he did ;) And if he's not down for a snooze, I'm usually wearing Evy Boy in the LuLu Wrap, trying my best not to splash water in his face while I do the dishes.

For the same reason I love breakfast, I also hate it. It's multitasking at it's finest. Some days my brain feels like it might just explode! And finishing anything? Just getting the bacon from the fridge to the oven can take twenty minutes with helper Rad needing me to help him with this, or move that for him, or Everest's passy boy falling to the ground, and the freakin' smoke alarm going off for the 20th time because it's positioned directly over the oven (that "beep" will kill me one of these days...) But you know what? It's all worth it for that hot breakfast.

We make the same thing every single morning... "Corn, tatoes, bacon, and soothie", as Radcliff says, and now we've added oatmeal after a friend told me it that it helps with milk supply (it reeeeally does!). We get the corn, bacon, gluten-free oatmeal and hash browns from Trader Joes. I love shopping there because they have nitrate free bacon and turkey bacon (we rotate these), their fozen corn tastes so fresh (don't bother with frozen corn aywhere else, it always gets stuck in your teeth), and their hash browns are to die for. I also love their gluten-free oatmeal. Even if you don't eat a gluten-free diet, it's so much better than regular oatmeal. Our smoothies consist of frozen fruit (we switch it up), avocado, spinach, coconut milk, in the carton and can (again, Trader Joes thick, creamy coconut milk in the can is truly what heaven's got to be made of!), chia seeds, flaxseed (another food that's supposed to help your milk supply), and then kifir. 

As big of a pain in the butt as it can be to make such a production out of breakfast, I figure, even if we don't have the best lunch or dinner, at breakfast time alone, we've gotten most of our fruits, veggies, proteins, and good fats in for the day that we need. And (it's a big AND!), I've never really understood how people eat cereal, or toast and feel good throughout their day. It's not a judgement, it's honestly something I don't get. If I eat a breakfast like that, I feel lethargic, I don't have energy, my stomach hurts, and I'm hungry like an hour later. So... I challenge all of you to make an effort to eat a big, warm, healthy breakfast every morning and see how you feel. Plus, as you can see, it really brings the family together too. 

I thought it needed to be documented so I can always remember these happy-crazy breakfast memories when I'm older. As stressful as this first part of the day can be, I know I'll miss having Thing 1 and Thing 2 by my side, in 30 years, when I'm still making the same damned thing.